A Major Release with Significant New Capabilities
[Note: Specify 6.4 modifies the database schema; all workstations with a shared database in a local area or campus network will need to upgrade to the 6.4 version to continue database access.]
The Specify Software Project is delighted to deliver Specify 6.4. The new release extends Specify’s research functions for georeferencing, distribution mapping, and new specimen digitization. These enhancements are accomplished through data integration with GBIF and web service connections to the GEOLocate and Lifemapper Projects.
Specify’s new subsystem “Scatter Gather Reconcile” (SGR) discovers and facilitates the re-use of computerized information from duplicate specimens. SGR delivers on the promise of data publishing for biological collections; it completes the circle of enterprise-level integration by enabling write-back from GBIF to Specify databases.
Specify 6.4 also includes a new Java implementation of GEOLocate, a georeferencing application from Tulane University. The embedded module communicates with GEOLocate data servers to parse text locality descriptions, calculate specimen latitude and longitude coordinates and assign best practice spatial metadata--all within a seamless Specify interface.
Finally, 6.4 makes network connections to Lifemapper’s visualization services for mapping collection data and comparing the geographical distribution of species vouchers in your database with the spread of those in GBIF. With NASA’s World Wind plug-in, Specify users explore the localities of their holdings in an interactive globe display. In a future release, Specify/Lifemapper integration will enable Specify users to invoke Lifemapper’s species distribution modeling and multispecies diversity analysis services.
These three new network integration modules, SGR, GEOLocate, and Lifemapper are the first wave of broader computational capability and network integration coming to the Specify Software platform. Additional information on how to use these new modules is accessible in Specify’s help system.
For more information click on the "Specify 6.4" tab on the top of this page.
11 November 2011
List of bug fixes in Specify 6.4
- Entering non-numeric values in catalog number queries no longer causes handled exceptions. 2011-11-21 (Bugzilla 8670)
- The uncertainty radius field in GeoLocate has been modified to improve aesthetics. 2011-11-21 (8667)
- When uploading a Data Set in the WorkBench, Specify now properly prompts users to close open data tabs. 2011-11-18 (8665)
- The search bar above the interactive map in GEOLocate has been removed for improved functionality. 2011-11-16 (8651)
- The wizard now asks for a new accession number format when adding new divisions to a database regardless if accessions are global in the database. 2011-11-16 (8645)
- Catalog Number queries now accept non-numeric values. 2011-11-16 (8631)
- An issue causing the Plugins button to be removed from the task bar upon exiting Specify has been fixed. 2011-11-16 (8508)
- Opening a locality form on a 64-bit linux machine no longer causes an exception. 2011-11-16 (8500)
- The mapping button in the WorkBench grid editor has been removed. 2011-11-16 (8499)
- The Query Builder no longer hangs for large databases. 2011-11-09 (8643)
- Taxon levels are now automatically mapped when a mapping is created. 2011-11-09 (8611)
- The latest Darwin Core version xsd file has been added. 2011-11-09 (8610)
- Switching between locality formats no longer erases coordinates regardless of the default format. 2011-11-08 (8634)
- Importing a pick list from another discipline no longer causes handled exception. 2011-11-08 (8632)
- An issue causing an exception when adding an existing user if a user in security tools has been fixed. 2011-11-08 (8617)
- Adding an unmapped condition involving a date field in the schema mapper no longer causes a handled exception. 2011-11-08 (8615)
- A problem causing Specify to hang upon importing images has been fixed. 2011-11-08 (8579)
- Specify now properly displays what is in the MySQL database for latitude and longitude fields. 2011-11-07 (8630)
- Fields in a panel in the xml forms now follow Specify field rules. 2011-10-28 (8608)
- Attaching images to Datasets that are not uploadable no longer hangs Specify. 2011-10-28 (8607)
- Opening non-image files from the icon view of any attachment now works properly. 2011-10-28 (8603)
- Changing the schema in one discipline no longer changes the schema for all discplines in the database. 2011-10-28 (8600)
- The Georeference Format Converter now properly converts fields that have a zero value in their last unit of accuracy. 2011-10-28 (8595)
- Specify iReport now opens properly. 2011-10-28 (8589)
- The default length of of date fields in form view of the WorkBench has been corrected. 2011-10-28 (8580)
- Default values can now be given to pick lists. 2011-10-28 (8573)
- Column sorting in the Workbench has been improved. 2011-10-28 (8562)
- An 'orEmpty' option has been added to the query builder for improved search conditions. 2011-10-28 (8545)
- An issue causing inconsistent validation requirements of fields in the WorkBench had been corrected. 2011-10-28 (8523)
- A single click now initiates the search for a query combobox. 2011-10-28 (7984)
- Forms now recognize default values as a change to the form and save them properly. 2011-10-28 (7808)
- A problem causing system configuration not to open properly has been fixed. 2011-10-14 (8583)